Fitting Instructions for uPVC Fascias and Soffits
Before You Get Started
There are a few key things that need to be taken in to account before you can begin the installation of your new uPVC Fascias and Soffits. Here are our tips of what you need to check before your start…
- Ensure Health and Safety regulations are adhered to.
- If completely replacing the roofline, ensure all of the existing timber roofline and guttering is removed and disposed of.
- To ensure you get the best possible inspection area it’s recommended that you remove the first 2 or 3 rows of tiles from the roof. If necessary replace with new roofline ventilation, eaves protection and breathable membrane.
- It’s essential that all rafters are inspected to ensure timber is structurally sound and free from rot. Rafters should also be plumb and level to ensure that new fascia boards line with the roofline. Should any rafters show sign of rot they should be cut out.
TOP TIP: New Build rafters must be at a maximum of 600mm of all white fascias and no more than 400mm for foiled fascias (coloured uPVC fascias). Soffit bearers must be at a maximum of 600mm for all white soffits and no more than 400mm apart for foiled soffits.
How to Install
TOP TIP: When joining soffit boards ensure you leave a 10mm (minimum) expansion gap between boards.
- To fix the Fascia Corner Profile Trims you will need to use Low Modulus Neutral Silicone or Superglue to one side (to allow for movement and expansion during the different seasons).
- DirectPlastics.com stock a range of corners and trims for Fascias of all styles and colours. If you’re struggling to find the corner or joint you’re looking for, we can help. Call us on 01254 918 046 or contact us via our contact form.
- To comply with building regulations you will need to ensure the roofline maintains a good air path.
- Once you are happy with your new uPVC Fascias and Soffits, you can then go on to install the gutters and downpipes.
TOP TIP: 25mm Stainless Steel Star Screws are ideal for fixing gutter brackets to the fascia.